Week 15

I think we can safely say that I’m on the home stretch now!

Overall view of the model

Overall view of the model

Last week I completed the yard arms.  They look a piece of art now they’re finished, with all the pulleys and detail on them.  I’ve been lucky in finding a supplier of good pulleys.  Made of rosewood and laser cut, the end result is a very detailed pulley that is able to be stained to the required colour.

Close-up of the yard arms

Close-up of the yard arms

Once the pulleys were pinned on, I started the running rigging, using a hemp coloured thread 0.25 mm thick.  The job began with the bracers and lifters, rather tricky as the bracers are tied to the base of the mast and there is next to no room for one’s hands to fit in the space and tie the line down.  Things are getting a little harder! The more lines you put on the model, the less it looks like you have done.

Side view of the model

Side view of the model

The Beagle should be complete, or close to, within the week, with the next update coming after Christmas. Wishing you a happy Christmas and a great New Year!

Week 11

Apart from a few bits and pieces, I have completed the hull and all the components.

Overall view of the model

Overall view of the model

It took me a little longer than expected to complete and rig the small boats off the hull, but I am very pleased with the results. I have yet to make the oars and the sail bundles of these boats.

Close up of the small boats

Close up of the small boats

The carronade was a lot of fun to make. I turned the barrel out of PVC rod, similar to how the cannons were made before. Soon all the cannon will be rigged to the deck.

Close up of canon

Close up of canon

The plan for the coming week is to make all the masts of the model, having already completed the bowsprit at the front of the hull.

Contributed by model maker Mike Bass.

Week 8

This week’s work saw the completion of the weathering effects on the hull and bulwarks using techniques as described last week, and the beginning of fine detail on the stern.

Overall view of the model

Overall view of the model

Stern view of the model

Stern view of the model

Bow view of the model

Bow view of the model

I started with the compass, turning it on the lathe using PVC rod. The steps leading down to the gun deck were constructed from American walnut, this wood being of both a very fine grain and an appropriate colour.

The airbrush I described in the last update has been used extensively, as this time I am texturing and shading areas not only to weather sections, but also to make the model look as realistic as possible in all detail.


I am hoping to have all components on the deck completed by the end of the week.

Contributed by model-maker Mike Bass.