Day 1 Fremantle – Bunbury

Rainy introductions with the new crew

Latitude; 32°02.7’S

Longitude; 115°41.0’E

Distance run in 1 hr; 3.5NM

Average speed; 3.5KN

It feels like a very long time ago since the crew were altogether on board and it is good to be back and have everyone back, including some new faces as we say goodbye to Darbey (the bosuns mate), Mark (Chief Engineer) and Anais (Upperyardsman). We have spent the morning packing down the museum and giving the ship a very thorough clean and getting her ready to go back to sea. In the afternoon we take on supplies for the next five days to feed forty nine hungry crew.

By 1700 the ship is ship, shape and ready for sailing. It doesn’t take us too long to pack down the museum, but we also have to make sure the ship is scrubbed from top to bottom and that all artefacts are very securely wrapped and safely stowed to prevent any damage. We also have to re-rig the tiller rope so that we can steer the ship and get our rescue boat back on board.

Straight to work as we stow the mooring lines

By 0900 there are many people gathering on the wharf getting ready to check in at 0930 to board the ship. Many of the ports that we visit the ship is affected by the tidal difference, meaning that we have to either come in or leave with the tide, which on joining day can mean on occasion that we have to stay alongside for a day training and leave the following morning with the tide. The tidal difference in Fremantle is only 1 meter and where we are moored we have plenty of water under the keel, which is great for us as we can leave any time and with this only being a five day voyage we want to make sure the crew get as much time as possible out sailing. Our plan is to motor out to Rottnest Island where we will anchor and continue on with the ships training this evening.

Holly and I check the new crew in, who all look physically fit with plenty of gusto. I know that we are going to have a good voyage. By 1100 on the dot we have the pilot aboard, who is just going to make sure we are clear of hazards within the harbour before jumping off at the harbour mouth. It is straight to work for the crew as we get them stowing the mooring lines, Getting the fenders back on board and secure and then finally laying the anchor cable out on deck.

All’s well.

The girls learning the helming techniques