Day 2 Geraldton – Fremantle

The last line let go

Latitude; 28°47.2’S

Longitude; 114°23.7’E

Distance run in the last 5hrs; 15.9NM

Average speed; 3.18KN

After all the tours around the ship are complete, it is time
to start training for the vital skills that are going to be required over the
next 7 days. While the training is underway, topman Amy has to head to the
Doctors as her knee has swollen up due to a reaction. On her return there is bad news, her leg is infected and the doctor has
recommended that she doesn’t sail as a precaution. We are all exceptionally
disappointed, after coming so far together as a crew it is important to us that
we all arrive in Endeavour’s home port together. However it is much more
important that Amy is well rested and fighting fit to re-join in Fremantle.

The crew stowing the mooring lines

Some of the crew training to climb for the first time are
under added pressure, as some of the local media arrive to film them climbing,
for a broadcast about our departure of Geraldton. Everybody does exceptionally
well and I am glad to hear Chelsea say it was so good, she can’t wait to climb

It is an early start at 0530, but the plan is to get
breakfast at 0600 altogether so we are off the wharf by 0700. At breakfast the
usual question of ‘how did you sleep last night?’ Was surprisingly well
received, Deon said he slept like a log and even Vicki said she slept very
well. Usually there is more grumblings about the noise of the ship and the loud

The pilots come
aboard at 0630 and we wave Amy and the crowd off with several huzzahs. It is a
very tight area to manoeuvre in and so full concentration is required by
Captain Ross and the rest of the officers. We have the pilot boat on standby
with a tug line to help assist in pulling us away from the wharf if needs be.
We are very fortunate as the wind is only very light and so it makes the
procedure much smoother with only very minimal assistance from the pilot boat.
Before we know it we are clear of the wharf and heading out into the busy
channel. There are several tugs passing backwards, which is a little bizarre to
see. Once we are out in slightly deeper waters the humpback whales start to be

All hands are required on deck as we work to get the mooring
lines and fenders away and to shortly set sail. It is not long before the crew
are up aloft unfurling the sails. All watches are on deck to set sail and learn
where their bracing station is. The wind is favourable and the sails are set,
only one more thing to do… Shut the engines down, huzzah.

All’s well.

getting ready to set sail

2 thoughts on “Day 2 Geraldton – Fremantle

Comments are closed.