Port Jackson (Sydney) over night. 05/04/2010-06/04/2010
Weather S/E 10-15 knots
1500hrs: Departed North Wharf at the Australian National Maritime Museum. Motored to South Head and returned to Watson’s Bay for sail setting. Wind was a light South Easterly and all squares (including top gallant) were set on our fore mast, braced sharp port tack. After setting our largest stay sail, the main top mast stay sail, we sailed against the tide, back to our mooring by night fall.
After a quiet and still night, we then motored back to the museum by 1000hrs
Capt Ross Mattson
Ship’s Steward Log
The crew welcomed passengers on board at 1500. It wasn’t long before first mate Ben was asked to pose for a photo with the smallest crew member, outspoken Davey Jones – the ship’s mascot budgie.
We motored down the harbour heading past Bottle and Glass Point at 1600 and as we neared South Head 30 minutes later we readied to turn around and head back towards Athol Bight. There was a swell coming in through the heads and we set stays’ls to help counteract the rolls.
The fore course yard was braced in preparation to set the sail which was done quite soon after and by 1645 we were able to turn off our motors. At 1700 the fore tops’l was set and the crew prepared for the first setting of a topgallant this sailing season! We had very little wind and an out going tide so consequently we were going at a fairly sedate pace, approximately 2 knots (nautical miles per hour).
Unfortunately the fore topgallant was only up for half an hour before we started handing sails and by 1800 the last of the square sails were handed as we arrived at our mooring for the night.
As the enveloping darkness began to creep in and the lights of the Harbour Bridge started to twinkle, our passengers made their way down below to the first of their two talks from the ship’s curator Nigel Erskine. Nigel spoke about some South Sea Island artefacts collected by Cook and his crew on Cook’s second voyage to the Pacific (1772-1775). These special pieces, known as the Omai Relics, were recently purchased by the Australian National Maritime Museum. They are now on display.
After dinner (themed on the original Endeavour’s menu) Nigel treated our passengers to a short film and his second talk of the evening on Pitcairn Island and the Bounty Mutineers.
As the passengers came back on deck they heard the gentle sounds of two of our ships minstrels, captain Ross on his guitar and navigator Toby on his green fiddle. Hammocks were slung by the topmen and upperyardies and our passengers excitedly (but with some trepidation) began to get ready for ‘quiet ship’ at 2300.
The new day dawned bright and we departed our mooring by 0900. One passenger was overheard saying that his night’s sleep was “at least more comfortable than an economy seat on an international flight.”
We motored back to the museum and our guests disembarked at the National Maritime Museum’s North Wharf in Darling Harbour at 1000, leaving us with their kind words of how much they had enjoyed themselves while on board.
Ship’s Steward Kat Lindsay