Week 12

This week I have made and completed the main masts and bowsprit.

Overall view of the model

Overall view of the model

I used a hardwood dowel for the masts, and turned each section down on a lathe.  I then pinned each section together, being careful to keep masts straight.

The hardest part was to gluing the masts into the deck.  I used a super araldite which takes three days to dry, yet once stuck is impossible to ‘unstick’.   Gluing the masts is tricky and time consuming because the masts must be positioned at the correct angle when viewed from the side and must appear upright and square when viewed from the bow.

Close-up of the main mast

Close-up of the main mast

I have taken care to include the Harris conductors on the masts, copper strips running from the top of the mast to the deck of the ship, a special feature that saved the Beagle from lightening strikes many times.  The conductors channeled the electricity from lightening strikes to the copper sheathing of the hull, thereby earthing the ship to the sea.

Close-up of the Harris conductors

Close-up of the Harris conductors

Next week I will start the rigging, possibly the most difficult, but yet most rewarding challenge of the whole project.

Contributed by model maker Mike Bass.

2 thoughts on “Week 12

  1. This is looking superb, it must be tempting to rush ahead at times as I’m sure you have in your own mind what its going to look like when finished. The rigging will bring the mast details into perspective, the platforms look oversized right now, but in time will look completely right.

  2. Hi Dave, thanks for the comment. Yes that is a problem concerning rushing ahead, you have to be mathodical otherwise you miss stuff. The image was taken using my Nikon and has a bit of a wide angle effect making the platform seem bigger to the rest of the boat. The new images of the model show it with the ratlines and looks great.

Leave a Reply